On Saturday morning, I noticed that Ronnie was looking a little thinner than usual. I also noticed that he wouldn’t eat his treats and his food dish was still full. While he’s always been a finicky eater, I knew this wasn’t normal.
Ron’s “I’m mad” face a couple of years ago when we ran out of treats.
I wanted to give it a day or 2 to see if he would come around, but he still wasn’t eating. This morning, when I saw him just laying there and looking so weak and sad, I knew it was time for him to see the vet. The vet was definitely concerned when he saw how much weight he has lost. His body temperature was low also due to the fact that he doesn’t have enough meat on him to keep him warm. He took some blood and said that he was pretty certain that he has hyperthyroidism. I looked up the symptoms and Ron seems to have almost all of them. We will find out the results tomorrow.
This was a few months after I got Ron. He was being a rebel and somehow got on the counter. King of his castle.
I was so worried about leaving him today, but I had to go back to work for the afternoon. I was so happy to see that he was laying in his bag with the towel that we put in it. Ron always loves to sleep in brown bags which is why you will find a few random brown bags strewn across my house. He loves them too much for me to throw them out. I thought I would try to give him some milk to see if he would drink it. Ron loves his milk. I was happy to see him drink it.
Sweet kitty drinking his milk. He drank about half.
For now, I’m just trying to keep him warm and make sure that he at least drinks his water/milk/juice from his cat food. He licked up all of the juice from his food, but he still won’t eat the food. I hope we can find out how to help him tomorrow. I hate seeing my sweet kitty like this. He’s usually very vocal, but now he can barely squeak out a meow. It just breaks my heart. He’s moving so slow since he’s so weak.
I know he’s 16 years old and that these things happen, but I don’t want anything to happen to him. Any advice on how to get a cat to eat? Or any ideas on how he can get some nutrients? Have you been through anything like this before? I would appreciate any advice you have to give. Until then, please pray that my sweet boy will feel better soon!
Sweet boy watching some Netflix with me on a lazy afternoon
3 comments:
This post breaks my heart. I wish I had some solid advice. I hope Ron gets to feeling better soon.
I don't really have any advice either. My family always had pet cats growing up, but we never had any with this issue (rather ours ate way too much!). I do hope he eats more soon though.
aww. hope he feels better soon
Post a Comment